New Facilities Coming
The Virginia Commonwealth University College of Health Professions celebrated the start of construction on its new state-of-the-art building at a ground breaking event in 2017. The new facility will provide a unified space for the school’s nine academic units, the dean’s office and the Virginia Center on Aging. Its top-ranked programs have occupied 13 buildings in the past 45 years and are currently scattered among five buildings on two campuses.
The Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Physical Therapy is currently located in the West Hospital on the corner of Broad and 12th streets. This facility was specially designed for the educational needs of the physical therapy department and includes:
- Instructional classrooms with state-of-the-art multi-media technology.
- Teaching laboratories modeled after physical therapy orthopaedic and neurorehabilitation clinics with access to the variety of equipment, technology and materials used in contemporary physical therapy practice.
- A dedicated study area with computer workstations networked to a Pay-4-Print HP LasertJet printer.
- Wireless Access points located throughout the department, including the student lounge, for those students who wish to use their wireless devices such as laptops, iPads, tablets, etc. while at VCU. A computer technician is available during specified hours to assist students in the use of the various software packages and related projects.
- Student Lounge/Dining Area
- Student locker rooms and mailboxes.
- Individual class communication boards.
- Research laboratories for studies in amputation rehabilitation, infant motor development and early intervention, shoulder evaluation and treatment, technology to assist mobility and rehabilitation, and skeletal muscle histological evaluation and neuroplasticity.
- Individual faculty and graduate student offices.
- The Susanne Hirt Conference Room.
- The M. Scott Sullivan, P.T., Ph.D. Memorial Library.
Cadaver dissection is performed in the School of Medicine facilities adjacent to the department in Sanger Hall. The Tompkins-McCaw Library for the Health Sciences is located within a three-block walking distance from the department.
Full-time clinical education internships for professional students are offered in physical therapy clinics throughout Virginia and the country. Full-time internships as well as part-time clinical experiences are offered during academic semesters at the VCU Medical Center inpatient acute and rehabilitation hospitals as well as at its outpatient clinics.